Winner – Best Historic Rehab Utilizing LIHTCs – Small (Under $5 Million Development Costs)

The National Housing & Rehabilitation Association is pleased to announce that we selected the winners & judges awards finalists for the 2013 J. Timothy Anderson Awards for Excellence in Historic Rehabilitation!

Fondly referred to as “The Timmys,” the awards honor outstanding rehabilitation and preservation projects based on several criteria, including overall design and quality, interpretation and respect of historic elements, and market success. NH&RA created the “Timmy Awards” as a tribute to Boston architect and preservation advocate J. Timothy Anderson. “Anderson was a singular figure in the preservation industry pioneering the adaptive reuse of historic buildings,” said Peter Bell, Executive Director of the National Housing & Rehabilitation Association and a close personal friend of Anderson’s. His legacy includes numerous Boston area projects as well as the seminal study that helped launch preservation efforts in the art deco South Beach district of Miami Beach in the late ‘70s.

NH&RA thanks our 2013 Timmy Awards Judges:
Josh Anderson, Cedar Bend Consulting
Lisa Craig, City of Annapolis
John Kelly, Nixon Peabody LLP
Nick Ratti, CohnReznick
Karl Stumpf, RTKL Associates Inc.
Brad White, Brad White & Associates

Questions? For more information about NH&RA and the Timmy Awards contact Caitlin Geary at 202-939-1778 or cgeary@housingonline.com.

NH&RA Thanks Our 2013 Timmy Awards Sponsor:

Winner – Best Historic Rehab Utilizing LIHTCs – Small (Under $5 Million Development Costs)

First Ward School Apartments, Elkins, WV
Developer: AU Associates, Inc. (Lexington, KY)
Architect: Omni Associates – Architects (Fairmont, WV)
Historic Consultant: Historic Rehab, LLC (Richmond, VA)

Placed in service in July 2013, this $3.7 million development involved the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of a two-story building constructed in 1908 that was used for nearly 70 years as a public school before closing in 1976. The red brick structure was then used for more than three decades primarily for storage for the county school board. The board transferred the vacant and deteriorated building to a local civic group (C-HOPE), which obtained a grant to repair the roof and stabilize the structure with a deadline to rehabilitate the building for community use within five years. AU Associates, Inc. renovated the building to create 16 affordable one- and two-bedroom apartments and turned the property over to the ultimate owner, Highland Community Builders, a local nonprofit. Funding sources for the project included equity generated by federal housing and federal and state historic tax credits (syndicated by Community Affordable Housing Equity Corporation), general partner equity, and a first mortgage from C-HOPE.

The above was excerpted from an article on the National Housing & Rehabilitation Association’s Housing Online. View original article.