Constructed in 1899, the Historic Lexington Courthouse has historically dominated its immediate vicinity in the heart of Lexington, KY.
The building has been vacant for much of the last decade. in 2015, the decision was made to rehabilitate and adaptively reuse the magnificent structure, transforming it into a hub of public and private market-driven activity.
The Historic Lexington Courthouse is a remarkable example of Richardson Romanesque architecture and its the largest building of its type in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Over the years the building became less than optimal for its original courthouse usage and a renovation in the 1960’s compromised much of its larger character.
The building is owned by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Public Facilities Corporation. Its creator, the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, with the help of AU Associates, Inc., has infused funds into the project to augment the Federal and State Historic Tax Credits that were used to complete the project.
The Historic Lexington Courthouse development consists of the complete exterior and the interior renovation of the Courthouse, and the creation of approximately 487,295 gross square feet of space, covering four floors of tenancy. Project tenants include a Ouita Michel restaurant, Zim’s and the Thirsty Fox Bourbon Bar, VISITLEX, Breeders’ Cup, and LexEffect’s events space, Limestone Hall, under the rehabilitate rotunda.
The Historic Courthouse LLLP is a Public/Private Partnership between Historic Courthouse GP and Old National Bank. IT controls the Courthouse through a long-term master lease with a government corporation created by the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government.
Development Agent: Holly Wiedemann, AU Associates
Architects: K Norman Berry Associates & Deborah Berke Partners
Construction Manager at Risk: Messer Construction