Clendenin School (also known as the Big Sandy District High School) was built in 1912 and is located within the Clendenin Historic District in Clendenin, West Virginia. The Clendenin School is now transformed into two main uses including a non-profit community health center, and 18 units of quality, affordable and convenient housing for seniors.
Clendenin School (also known as the Big Sandy District High School) was designed by architect A.G. Higginbotham in 1912. The building served as the seat of education in Clendenin until 2003 and serves as an important part of the historic district commemorating the small town’s history; it has long been considered a community icon and has educated countless Kanawha County citizens. This building has remained a very prominent feature in its landscape for nearly 100 years, and is one of the small town’s largest remaining buildings.
Riverview at Clendenin School is the fusion of two complex federal programs in order to bring life back to Clendenin, WV. AU Associates, Inc. led an innovative group of housing and economic development professionals to achieve the adaptive reuse of the historic former Clendenin Middle School building into a mixed-use facility that will provide much needed health care to the region and safe, quality, affordable housing for independent seniors in the area to age gracefully.
While the project is complex, the goals are not. By combining Federal Stimulus money and USDA funds aimed at improving the quality of Community Health Clinics and by using NSP funds which are aimed at revitalizing areas hard hit by vacancy, delinquency and foreclosure, Riverview at Clendenin School is maximizing the leverage of the community and its funding dollars. The two projects are physically intertwined but financially separate. Each only depends on the other to be built in order to fulfill its objectives as one half of the building cannot be revitalized without the other half.
The original classrooms have been carefully and expertly transformed into comfortable apartments and 13,000 square feet of medical office space, both of which include all modern systems and amenities. The apartments feature high ceilings, abundant light, spacious closets, individually controlled thermostats, and fully equipped kitchens. There are 18 gracious apartments in total with 12 one-bedroom units and 6 two-bedroom units.
Clendenin School Apartments offers convenient, comfortable, and affordable living through financing from the Department of Housing and Urban Development via the West Virginia Development Office and the Neighborhood Stabilization Program as well as through Poca Valley Bank and State and Federal Historic Tax Credits. Income and age restrictions apply for all apartments.
Services Provided at the Clendenin Health Center
- Primary care services for everyone at every stage of life—newborns, children, adults, and seniors.
- Prenatal and Perinatal Care provided on site and deliverites at CAMC in conjunction with the WVU Physicians of Charleston OB/GYN Practice
- Care for our pediatric patients including routine care for sickness, well-child care, and immunizations
- In-house laboratory
- Dental services provided at a steeply discounted rate for patients without insurance
- Pharmacy services provided on-site
- Health coaches are available to help patients manage chronic conditions
- Women’s health services including family planning
- Annual check-ups and physicals
- Access to behavioral health consultants
Project Features & Amenities
- Fully equipped kitchens
- Maple cabinetry
- Self-cleaning electric range
- Energy Star® dishwasher
- Energy Star® frost-free refrigerator
- Under-cabinet lighting
- Built-in, over the range microwaves
- Emergency pull cords
- Emergency pull cords
- Elevator access to all units
- Ceiling fans in all living areas and bedrooms
- Original Hardwood floors
- Abundant natural light
- Tall ceiling heights
- Window blinds
- Individual climate control
- Keyless electronic entry
- Complete fire suppression system
- Cable TV access
- High-speed internet access
- Cultured marble vanity tops
- Furnished community room
- On-site laundry facility
- Chair height toilets
- Linen closets
Project made possible by:
Developer: AU Associates, Inc.
Non-profit: 25045 A New Clendenin, Inc.
Consultant: Terrell Ellis & Associates
Architect: Omni Associates Architects, Inc.
Contractor: AU Construction, LLC
Financial assistance provided by:
The State of West Virginia
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
USDA Rural Development
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources
The Kanawha County Commission
Poca Valley Bank
Riverview at Clendenin School is located at 107 Koontz Avenue, Clendenin, WV 25045.